Sunday, March 6, 2011

Shanti Ashtangi

Ashtangi invocation to inspire your practice.  This chant is found in Madonna's Ray of Light album. 





Vunde gurunam caranaravinde
Sandarsita svatma sukhavabodhe
Nihsreyase jangalikayamane
Sansara halahala moha santyai
Hala hala
Ahahu purusakaram sankha cakrasi
Ahahu purusakaram sankha cakrasi
Dharinam dharinam sahasra hasra sirasam
Dharinam dharinam sahasra hasra sirasam
Vande

Om Shanti, Om Shanti
Shanti shanti
Shantay Om

English Translation            

I worship the gurus' lotus feet                        
Awakening the happiness of the self-revealed
Beyond comparison, working like the jungle physician
To pacify loss of consciousness from the poison of existence
In the form of a man up to the shoulders
Holding a conch, discus and sword
Thousand headed, white
I bow respectfully
Peace

1 comment:

Claudia said...

Love it. It's funny how when I started ashtanga I realized the chant sounded familiar to me... it did... I had indeed heard it before, by Madonna... funny how life works...