Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Dynamic Class with Azmi Samdjaga

Last Friday, I attended Azmi’s Dynamic class at My Yoga Sanctuary for the first time.   I have always wanted to try the Dynamic class but due to the timing of the class, I had not been able to do so.   The class was recently rescheduled to earlier in the evening which was more convenient for me. 
                                                      
Azmi had informed us that the Dynamic class which is an advanced class would be taught in the manner of a workshop where he would work with us on the techniques to go into the poses.


We started the class by doing poses to prepare us for the Handstand poses which included poses to strengthen the arms and open the shoulders such as holding in Plank to Chaturanga, back to Plank to Chaturanga and then to Upward Dog a few times and doing Gomukhasana (Cow Face pose).  We did Pincha Mayurasana (Forearm Handstand) as well as Sirsasana (Handstand).   Even though Azmi was holding my legs in Pincha Mayurasana, I could not maintain the pose as I ended up collapsing when my shoulders moved forward.  Azmi told us that it is very important to keep the shoulders fully engaged all the time which is the same for Sirsasana. 

We also worked on poses to prepare us for Hanumanasana  (Monkey Pose),  Eka Pada Rajakapotasana (One-Legged King Pigeon Pose),  Bakasana (Crow) and Parsva Bakasana (Side Crow).

For Urdhva Dhanurasana (Wheel Pose), Azmi asked us to place two blocks at the wall and then placed our hands onto the blocks with the fingers draped over the edge and the palms firmly on the block.   This helped to open the chest and shoulders and gave the extra height as we lifted up to the full pose.   We also did one round without the blocks but with the balls of our hands pressed firmly against the wall.    As UD has always been my nemesis pose with my tight shoulders, I could feel the difference doing the pose in these two ways.  I was able to straighten my arms more and lift higher in the pose. 

We ended the class with a  Salamba Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand) variations sequence before doing Shirshasana (Headstand) and resting in Savasana.

All in, it was a wonderful 90 minutes class with new techniques learned and I was also glad to be able to do Chakrasana without any problem from my right elbow which is still recovering.     


2 comments:

Jo said...

Hi Karin, that's amazing! how long will I be able to perform a pose like that? 5 years?? :P

Karin said...

Hi, JoMel,

Thanks for dropping by. It all depends on you but with proper techniques, you can even do the pose in a short time. Come join me at My Yoga Sanctuary which is located at Bukit Utama and learn from Azmi who is one of the most sought after teachers in the yoga industry. You can contact MYS at tel no. 018-3553676 for details of their membership packages.

Love & light,
Karin