Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rooting in Urdhva Dhanurasana

I love this blog post from Five Minute Yoga on Rooting: a yoga lesson from the garden. Quote: “In the garden of our practice, we cultivate our poses. Sometimes we have to pull out weedy bad habits. Always we have to till, prune and water. Neglect usually results in decay, but sometimes, as with a perennial tucked away in a far corner, poses bloom when we least expect them to. And then there’s patience: in a garden, as in a yoga practice, nothing happens overnight. But of all the links from your mat to your garden, nothing is more fundamental than understanding that what goes down must come up. Learning to root down will revolutionize your yoga practice because it gives you the ability to lift up and create space in your body." 


Urdhva Dhanurasana (Wheel pose) has always been my nemesis pose…this pose has always been difficult for me and on certain days, I would rather not do the pose especially when I feel the compression in my lower back when I lift up.

At the recent yoga retreat in Angkor Wat, as Azmi helped me in the pose, with me holding onto his ankles as I lifted up and using his hands to help me to draw in my shoulder blades, I could lift higher in the pose as I pushed down on my feet.

Today in the Flow class without Azmi’s assistance, I managed to lift higher than usual and did not feel any compression in my lower back.  It was a sensational feeling as I could feel my shoulders opened more as I draw in my shoulder blades and keeping my toes turned in and my feet parallel as I pushed down on my feet.  I believe I have found the root to this pose..:)

 "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I know I can." — Little Engine That Could

No comments: