Friday, March 12, 2010

The Climb

I was driving home last night when the radio station played Miley Cyrus’s The Climb and as I listened to the lyrics, I realized that some of the words reflect how I felt when I am doing my yoga poses.

When doing poses like headstand and arm balancing poses, I sometimes hear a voice inside my head saying “You’ll never be able to do it”.

Yoga is a journey of learning and with each practice I have learned to listen to my body instead of my head. I learned that when my breath and movements are in sync, the poses are easier to execute and I will be able to do those poses that seemed impossible.

Yesterday, I managed to bind my hands in Marichyasana D during the Ashtanga Led class on my own and as I reflect back, I know it is because I never give up that I am able to do so. The journey was hard and painful; the twisting of the hands was sometimes painful (due to wrong techniques being used!). But with guidance from Azmi on using the breath and an anchor to twist, I am finding it easier to twist and bind my hands together.

It is also the same for my head stand, no matter how many times I fall, I have to do the pose as I am able to see my progress each time I go up; with each time being able to stay longer in the inversion an achievement by itself.

To all you new yogis and yoginis out there, keep the faith and all will be coming and along the way, enjoy the climb!

“Ain't about how fast I get there, ain't about what's waiting on the other side,
It's the climb, yeah!
Keep on moving, keep climbing
Keep the faith, baby, It's all about, it's all about the climb”


No comments: