Friday, January 2, 2009

Reflections and Looking Ahead

It’s already the second day of 2009… how time flies…it’s less than a month to Chinese New Year. Already you can hear Chinese New Year songs being played on the radio stations and at the shopping complexes.

As I reflect back on the events in 2008, the biggest thing that affected my life would be yoga. The Yoga Zone crisis that erupted in July 2008 had a great impact on the yoga community in Malaysia as so many yoga practitioners were affected not only, financially but emotionally as well. I learned to be more vigilant as I was one of the affected victims. It was not the money lost, luckily, I have finished paying my monthly installments by October 2008 but the emotional pain of losing a wonderful place for my yoga practice as well as learning from some of the great instructors teaching there. Fortunately, I was able to continue my yoga practice with Azmi, Lila and Matthew at That’s Yoga and also at the private classes held in November and December.

The other big yoga issue in 2008 was the banning of Yoga to the Muslim community in Malaysia which was also highlighted in the international arena. The issue has now received some reprieve with the intervention of the Sultans and the PM and hopefully, it will be resolved amicably soon.

As for myself, I am still continuing my journey with yoga. Yoga has brought me a sense of peace and calmness whenever I feel anxious and I hope to be able to continue this journey of enlightenment and to bring the teachings of yoga into my daily life…to be more patient with others as well as to be more receptive to people and the things happening in my life.

I am now anxiously waiting for the opening of Be Yoga Sanctuary as my practice has not been consistent for the past month due to the holiday season.

"It is not how much you do, but how much love you put in the doing" – Mother Theresa

No comments: