Thursday, August 7, 2008

How Yoga Zone Has Affected My Life

The issues surrounding Yoga Zone for the past few weeks has made me ponder on how Yoga Zone has affected my life. Looking back to the day I went for the trial class with my niece and the time I signed up for my membership at Plaza Damas, it seems such a long time ago even though it has only been about 15 months. This is because Yoga Zone has become a very important part of my life. It has become my second home as I always look forward to going to my classes straight from work. I love being able to learn from the fantastic teachers there and meeting the other practitioners who were strangers and now, have become my friends.

Yoga Zone has brought yoga to me, which has brought positive changes in my life. Although, my younger sister who has been practicing yoga for some years in a yoga centre in SS2, has been urging me to take up yoga, I was not very keen to sign up for any classes even though I went with a friend of mine to check up on the centre. Maybe, it was not the right time for me then.

Back to how Yoga Zone has affected my life, well, firstly, it has introduced yoga to me which has brought a sense of balance to my life; physically, mentally and spiritually. My body has grown stronger, more toned and more flexible as I move from one asana to another. I feel much better about myself especially when my friends (thanks! Lisa and Sue) admired my toned body whenever I walk in front of them. Yoga encourages positive thoughts and self-acceptance!

The breathing techniques I learned in my yoga classes help me to remain calm whenever I get agitated and stressed especially when I am stuck in a traffic jam. Yoga also helps me to build awareness of my body, my feelings, the world around me and the needs of others. I learn patience, forgiveness and the value of gentleness.

Going to Yoga Zone has also resulted in my family especially my mom, my sister, Jackie and myself growing closer. Jackie and I will plan outings with my mom who will follow us to Yoga Zone on some Sundays. We will arrange for her to have a foot massage at Comfort Zone while waiting for us to finish class. After class, we will go for a nice lunch and do some window shopping. My mom will complain that her legs are very tired at the end of the day and have wasted the foot massage but she will willingly follow us along for the next outing.

I am sad to see what is happening at Yoga Zone but I am trying not to let it affect me. I will go for the classes that are being taught by the teachers that I like but I not putting all my hopes on Yoga Zone.

"Change is not something that we should fear. Rather, it is something that we should welcome. For without change, nothing in this world would ever grow or blossom, and no one in this world would ever move forward to become the person they’re meant to be." (anon.)

No comments: